Another week closer to March and there are no signs of a heat wave, let alone Spring. School delays and kids are stuck in the house across the country, which means everyone is going a little stir crazy these days. Last week I posted 5 Energy Burners for Toddlers (or older kids if you’d like to try) and I am back today with 5 more Energy Burners. The last few weeks we have been very consistent on our Energy Burners multiple times a day and what a difference it makes- my 2 year old is finally napping better! Try these out and make sure you Pin them for next year as well.
1. Kids Yoga- Pick a few yoga moves and have your toddler try them. Check out NamasteKids for a few good poses you can try at home with your little munchkin.
2. Act Like an Animal- This is an all time favorite in our house! My husband made up this game with C and we do it every night before bed. She loves to get out that final bit of energy before bed. Each animal has a different movement and J will call it out and she will do it all the way down the hallway or across her brother’s room. Some of her favorites are: penguin walk, frog hop, eagle fly, and snake slither.
3. Jump & Grab– Kids love to jump. Hold something above their head and have them jump up and grab it. This also helps them work on their hand-eye coordination. You could also place a piece of paper or star on the wall a little higher than they are tall and have them jump up and tap it.
4. Indoor Bar- These indoor trapeze bars are awesome, and if you need a good gift idea this would be super fun to have in your house. However, holding a broom stick and letting your child hang on it is just as fun. See if your toddler can bring his or her feet up to the bar.
5. Basketball- We have an indoor basketball hoop and it provides hours of physical activity each week. C likes to “dribble” to the chair, stand on the chair and shoot. No basketball hoop? No problem. Let your child use a trash can or laundry basket and “shoot hoops” that way.
OR try the ultimate energy burner by combining three to five of these for an indoor obstacle course your child will love!
Physical activity is crucial for big and little people alike, make sure you are providing opportunities for your child to move multiple times throughout the day. Don’t let the weather be an excuse, use these Energy Burners as a way to be active and spend quality time with your little one- everyone is happier with a little movement in their lives.